Published: Thu, April 12, 2018
World News | By Laverne Osborne

Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur set to appear in Toronto court

Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur set to appear in Toronto court

In this artist's sketch, alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur makes an appearance via video in a Toronto courtroom on Wednesday, April 11, 2018.

The 66-year-old landscaper appeared by video in a Toronto courtroom this morning where the Crown said the new first-degree murder charge had been laid in the death of Abdulbasir Faizi.

Police found the remains of seven men hidden in large garden planters at a midtown home where McArthur stored his landscaping equipment.

Toronto police are expected to reveal "substantial" developments in their investigation on Wednesday afternoon.

Investigators have identified six sets of remains so far - 49-year-old Andrew Kinsman, 50-year-old Soroush Mahmudi, 40-year-old Skandaraj Navaratnam and now 44-year-old Esen, 42-year-old Faizi and 42-year-old Lisowick. Later that month, McArthur was charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Kayhan, Mahmudi and Lisowick. He also said police plan to investigate 75 properties linked to McArthur starting next month.

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT. Toronto police have released a photograph of a man who is believed to be a victim of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur. Det.

In addition to the ongoing homicide investigation, there are a number of other related probes, including an internal investigation that a source says is related to a previous police interview of McArthur.

FILE - This undated file photo released by Toronto police shows Abdulbasir Faizi, an Afghan who immigrated to Canada from Iran.

Cosby returns to Pennsylvania court for retrial on sex assault charges
Bill Cosby paid almost $3.4m (£2.4m) in a settlement to a woman now accusing him of sexual harassment, according to a prosecutor. The District Attorney's office identified the protester as Nicolle Rochelle , 39, of Little Falls, New Jersey.

Mr. Faizi's vehicle was found early in 2011 on Moore Ave, not far from the property where Mr. McArthur stored his landscaping tools, and where a number of the bodies have been located.

When they then went to police, officers suggested he had probably just left, the relative said.

Police previously seized planters from houses McArthur worked at from around Toronto but found no remains in those planters.

Lisowick, a homeless prostitute who struggled with drugs hadn't even been reported missing when police announced he was one of victims.

McArthur, 66, was arrested in January.

Idsinga said Faisi, who was 42 when he disappeared on December 29, 2010, was one of the three men whose disappearances were linked through Project Houston, a task force launched by Toronto police in 2012, to look into the disappearances of the three men from Toronto's Gay Village.

Idsinga said it's quite possible that the victim was not a resident of Toronto and that police were hoping to get tips to the man's identity from other countries as well. McArthur popped up on the police radar in the fall of 2017 as part of Project Prism.

Like this: