Published: Mon, April 23, 2018
World News | By Laverne Osborne

Qatar condemns IS deadly terror attack in Afghanistan

Qatar condemns IS deadly terror attack in Afghanistan

An Islamic State suicide bomber has killed dozens of people outside a voter registration center in Kabul.

India has joined United Nations in condemning Sunday's terror attacks in Afghanistan calling them "cowardly" and "barbaric" leading to the deaths of almost 70 civilians. Among them eight children, reports the Chronicle.info with reference to the Telegraph.

The bomber targeted civilians who were registering for national identification cards, Kabul police chief Gen. Daud Amin said.

Around two hours later, a bomb went off close to a voter registration centre in Baghlan, killing six persons and injuring five others. Almost 100 people were killed.

Another witness to the attack, named Akbar, told Tolo TV: "Now we know the government can not provide us security". The toll could still rise, he told the Associated Press news agency.

The same channel showed angry crowds shouting "death to the government", and, before the IS claim of responsibility, "death to the Taliban".

Stolen Mace found by Passerby under Bridge
At about noon on Wednesday, some hoodlums stormed the Upper House, disrupted proceedings and snatching the mace from the chamber. After the incident and the ensuing uproar, the senator was taken into police custody but was later released.

This latest suicide attack in Kabul underscores the growing challenge facing Afghan and foreign forces to protect the already heavily militarized city.

On Friday, a police officer was killed by unknown armed men at a voter registration centre in Qala-e-Naw, the center of Badghis province.

The Afghan authorities have struggled to protect the voting centres despite having deployed...

The government has set up more than 7,000 centers across the country to handle some 10 million voter registrations for upcoming elections.

Unless the process of registering millions of voters can be completed before winter starts in November, the parliamentary elections would nearly certainly have to be postponed until next year.

General John Nicholson, the top USA and North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) commander in Afghanistan, told Tolo TV last month that he expected the Taleban to carry out more suicide attacks this fighting season.

Like this: