Published: Thu, October 04, 2018
Health Care | By Alice Shelton

Texas Surf Resort Temporarily Closes After Man Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba

Texas Surf Resort Temporarily Closes After Man Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba

Fabrizio Stabile visited the BSR Cable Park Surf Resort in central Texas before his death from a deadly brain infection.

Stabile noticed something was wrong September 16 while mowing the lawn when a painful headache forced him to lie down.

Eighteen-year-old Lauren Seitz of OH died in June 2016 after she contracted the brain-eating amoeba after rafting with a church group at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, N.C., the Charlotte Observer reported.

Known as "Fab", Stabile was born in Bloomsberg, Pennsylvania, and loved spending time outdoors, according to his obituary in the Press of Atlantic City.

You can not be infected with Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water and the amoeba is not found in salt water.

The contaminated water enters swimmers and divers' bodies through the nose, and then travels to the brain where it causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

Mark Judge's lawyer says he was interviewed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation
The lawyers' concerns emerged amid reports that the FBI could wind up its investigation well before the deadline of this Friday. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that allegations of sexual misconduct against his U.S.

Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. offered his honest condolences to Stabile's family and says the park will continue to comply with the ongoing investigation. It takes an average of five days for symptoms to appear exposure, with headache, fever and nausea the main symptoms.

The infection has a 97 percent fatality rate, according to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Fabrizio Stabile, 29, fell ill after visiting the pool at BSR Cable Park in Waco in September.

The infection is extremely rare but very deadly.

Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic amoeba commonly found in warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers, and hot springs around the world.

The Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is now testing the resort for the rare amoeba, and the park has since voluntarily closed its doors. Later symptoms can include stiff neck, confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations. The organizations statistics indicate that since 1962 there have been 143 confirmed cases, of which only four people survived. The CDC notes that, on average, death occurs within one to 18 days of initial symptoms. People can't get it by swallowing water contaminated with the amoeba, the CDC says.

Like this: