Published: Sun, October 28, 2018
World News | By Laverne Osborne

Khashoggi killing 'undermines regional stability,' US defence secretary says

Khashoggi killing 'undermines regional stability,' US defence secretary says

Khashoggi had gone to the consulate for paperwork related to his planned marriage to Cengiz.

Cengiz told Haber Turk the United States government would have to form a conscience before she would even consider making the trip following the brutal murder of her future husband.

Trump and Prince Mohammed have cultivated warm ties though the USA president said earlier this week that the crown prince, as the kingdom's de facto ruler, bore ultimate responsibility for the operation against Khashoggi.

The backlash in the days since has been severe, with senior Congressional leaders and key investment banks distancing themselves from Saudi crown prince crown prince Mohammad bin Salman, or MBS as he is commonly known.

Mattis told the forum: "We will maintain our 'twin imperatives, ' as stated by Secretary of State Pompeo, of protecting America and holding accountable those responsible for this murder".

Foreign minister Adel al Jubeir said critics should wait until Riyadh has completed its investigation into the death before ascribing blame to the kingdom, which has denied a request by Turkey for the extradition of the suspects.

Saudi Arabia, the Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt cut off travel and trade ties with Qatar in June 2017, accusing it of backing their archrival, Iran, and supporting terrorism.

In a speech in Ankara, Erdogan said Saudi Arabia's chief prosecutor would visit Istanbul on Sunday to speak to Turkish authorities as part of the investigation.

"If I knew something like this would happen, I would have agreed to not marry him and would never have wanted him to go inside", she said in Turkish during the interview, crying several times. Last month, Germany approved 416 million euros ($470 million) worth of arms exports to Riyadh for 2018, however, Merkel said on Friday that "we need to clarify the background of this frightful crime and until that, we will not supply weapons to Saudi Arabia".

'All I’m thinking about is United' - Jose Mourinho addresses Real Madrid rumours
The 33-year-old will be making an emotional return to Old Trafford as Juventus will be taking on Manchester United . The Manchester United coach spoke to the media ahead of his team's Champions League clash with Juventus on Tuesday.

Mattis' comments at an global conference in the Middle East didn't directly say Saudi Arabia was the perpetrator of the brutal slaying or refer to the calls from USA lawmakers to cut arms sales to the kingdom.

After weeks of denying knowledge of whereabouts, and changing its story a number of times, Riyadh has said his killing was premeditated.

After Cengiz wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post, pleading with President Trump and his wife Melania for help, Trump told reporters on October 10 that Cengiz would "be most likely coming to the White House" "fairly quickly".

Leaders across the globe are facing a moral quandary over the sickening killing, with many buying oil from Saudi Arabia or selling the kingdom arms - and none more so than Donald Trump.

"There is an official statement from the king and an official statement from the crown prince", Peskov said.

Pro-government Turkish media said that intelligence officers showed Haspel video images and audio tapes of Khashoggi's killing gathered from the consulate.

He also said Saudi authorities had staged the "worst cover-up ever" over the case.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo this week announced moves against 21 Saudis to either revoke their visas or make them ineligible for US visas after the Khashoggi killing.

Like this: