Published: Thu, November 01, 2018
World News | By Laverne Osborne

Mystery of sisters found taped together deepens

Mystery of sisters found taped together deepens

Two bodies that were found duct-taped together last week near the Hudson River in New York City have been identified as two sisters from Virginia.

New York City police said Wednesday that 16-year-old Tala Farea and 22-year-old Rotana Farea were last seen September 24 in Virginia, where they lived, and appear to have traveled together to New York.

She told detectives, according to the New York Post, that the day before their bodies were discovered, she received a phone call from the Saudi Arabian embassy informing her that the family's residency in the U.S. was in jeopardy because the two had applied for immigration asylum.

Police released a sketch of the two women found laying on rocks near the Hudson River off of Riverside Park.

The sisters had recently requested asylum in the United States without giving a reason for the application, the New York Times reported, citing police. NYPD Chief Detective Dermot Shea told reporters on Wednesday that detectives have gone to Virginia and interviewed family and associates.

At least one police source speculated to the New York Daily News last week that the cause of death could be suicide.

"We are looking at all clues in their past life", he said.

Sarah Sanders: Media Has 'Role to Play' in Ending Division
Scaramucci said Trump and others should tone down their rhetoric about the caravan. Even as the White House was fighting back against criticism from the left, Mr.

"The detectives' work has filled in numerous pieces, but there's still some gaps that we would like to fill in and get a real clear picture of what happened in the last two months".

A relative tells Arab News that the sisters were part of a happy family.

In a statement released today, the Saudi Arabian Consulate General in NY said the Farea sisters were "citizens accompanying their brother in Washington" and it had "appointed an attorney to follow the case closely".

Tala Farea and Rotana Farea are seen in these undated photos released by the New York Police Department. Their bodies, which had no obvious signs of trauma, were discovered about 225 miles away from Fairfax, Virginia, where they lived and vanished in August.

Tala Farea had been missing from Fairfax since August 24, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

"Sources say police now have a better sense of where the two entered the water and how long they may have been in the water", the broadcaster reported.

Both had been students and Rotana had been studying at George Mason University before she left in the spring.

Like this: